A brief history of the Presbytery of Inverness
The Presbytery of Inverness first comes to our attention in 1592 when it was fully settled and established by an act of Paliament. Then there were only two charges in Inverness, the First Charge of Inverness now the Old High and the second Charge of Inverness which became the West Church and is now Inshes...
"Ecclesiastical State - There are three ministers of the Established Church in Inverness. The patrons of the livings are the King and the Honourable
Mr Fraser of Lovat. The King is patron of the first and the third living, Mr Fraser of the second. The stipend of the first and the second ministers, by a decreet
passed in the year 1754, is to each 84 bolls 1 firlot 2 pecks 2 lippies victual, half bear half oatmeal, and L.541 :8 :6 Scots money. Each of them has a glebe;
bur neither of the glebes is 4 acres. They have no manses, though they are entitled to them by law. The third minister is paid out of the Bishop's rents of Moray
and Ross. The stipend is precisely L.108, 10s Sterling. The church for the English congregation was built in the year 1772, by the magistrates, in consequence
of a compromise with the heritors, who were to have a preference of seats at an equitable yearly rent. the church is an elegant structure. It is 92 feet long, and
45 broad, with a convenient session-house adjoined. a new church is now building for the Gaelic congregation, and will be completed in the course of next
summer, at the joint and equal expense of the heritors on the one hand, and the Magistrates and six incorporations on the other. There was likewise added a
sum of L.110 Streling, being the interest arising from Mr george Duncan's mortification formerly mentioned. This church is 76 feet in length, and 38 in breadth.
There is a small Antiburgher congregation here; but they can afford very little for the support of theie minister, whether the Associated Congregation add any
thing to the living, we know not. There is a Scots Episcopal congregation, but small. ther is likewise a Methodist meeting house, which is attended chiefly by the
manufacturers lately come hither from other places." (Inverness 1793 - First Statistical Account of Scotland)
( This is an ongoing work yet to be completed! )
- Inverness burgh Records, sett, commisariat, presbytery records 1643-88
Please let me know of further sources of interest.
Click these links to read a copy of the approved minutes of the various meeting.